Recipe: Grapefruit Syrup
You will need:
- 2-4 red grapefruits
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 cups of water
- Zest the grapefruits into a bowl (if you do not have a zester then grate the skin avoiding the white pith, finely chop and use a pestle and mortar to break down), mix in the sugar to the bowl using the back of a spoon to crush the zest into the sugar. Repeat this until you have a slush type texture.
- Cover well and leave to sit for at least 5 hours (preferably overnight if you have the opportunity to make a day in advance).
- Bring your water to boil in a pan & stir in your mixture allowing the sugar to dissolve, approx. 3 mins. Once done strain off the mixture into a sieve and leave to chill. Keep refrigerated.
This recipe can be made with any of your favourite citrus fruits.
Time to serve:
- 25-50ml of your favourite gin (this recipe will work equally well with vodka)
- 10ml of your home-made syrup
- Top with tonic water or your favourite fizz.
- Garnish with zest of your chosen fruit.
Sip back & enjoy!