Recipe: Onion Bhaji
You will need:
- 2 x finely sliced onions
- 100g gram flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp curry powder (add fresh chillies or your favourite spices for extra flavour)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- For the raita:
- ½ cucumber
- 150g greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp fresh mint
- Soak the onions in cold water while you make the base. Mix in a bowl the flour, baking powder, curry powder (along with any of your additional flavours) & a dash of salt. Mix in approx. 100ml of cold water to make a batter, add an extra splash if it feels too thick.
- For the raita, grate your cucumber into a sieve and mix the remainder of the ingredients. Squeeze off any excess moisture & serve chilled.
- Drain your onions and mix into batter. In a deep pan heat approx. 5cm of oil & start to add a spoon of your bhaji mixture when hot. Your bhajis should rise to the top surrounded by bubbles & start to turn brown.
- Continue to spoon the mixture a little at a time into the pan, cook for approx. 3-4 mins turning once until crisp & brown.